MALAYSIAN DIABETIC LIMB SALVAGING SOCIETY (MDLSS)
MALAYSIAN DIABETIC LIMB SALVAGING ASSOCIATION (MDLSS) VISION & MISSION
- To Screen and create adequate awareness to 100,000 Malaysians by 2019.
- To Propagate awareness of prevention, preservation, avoidance of unnecessary diabetic related amputations, and post amputation rehabilitation in Malaysia.
- To create awareness and importance on the role of prothesis, orthosis and correctional devices and preventive footwear.
- To improve the current standard guidelines and management of chronic diabetic ulcer with transdisciplinary approach involving multiple expertise essential for optimal wound healing.
- Welcoming Medical Providers from all over the world and all disciplines involved in prevention and treatment of diabetic foot ulcer or an intellectual forum amongst the pioneers and experts in this field.
- To edify at all level of doctors, paramedics and nurses to improve wound care at early stage, screening and prevention.
- To set-up a center of excellence and mentor the next generation of skilled wound care specialist to be the future leaders in diabetic limb preservation.
- To provide proper guidance and counselling to patients and their families to reduce ulcer recurrence and optimize wound and foot care at home.
- Provide targeted foot screening services, information, and solution as a one stop National Resource Centre for high-risk diabetic patients in Malaysia.
PROJECTED AND ONGOING SOCIETAL ACTIVITIES FOR THE YEAR 2018 – 2019
1. RAKYAT FREE FOOT SCREENING PROGRAME (RFFS)
TARGET TO SCREEEN 100,000 PAIRS OF FOOT BY JAN 2020
TARGET TO SCREEN ALL TEACHERS IN MALAYSIA WITH DIABETIC – PROGRAM “KASIH CIKGU”
TO SCREEN ALL END STAGE RENAL FAILURE (ESRF) PATIENTS IN MALAYSIA – EXTRA HIGH RISK
2. ESTABLISH A PROGRAM – WITH NIOSH/OSHA/SOCSO FOR SCREENING WORKERS WITH DIABETIC NEUROPATHY WEARING SAFETY SHOES/BOOTS TO WORK (Disaster In The Making)
3. ESTABLISH THE IMPORTANCE OF DIABETIC NEUROPATHY SCREENING IN MOH FACILITIES AND ALL ENDOCRINE CENTERS IN MALAYSIA, BEFORE FOOT ULCER DEVELOPES.
4. TO HELP ESTABLISH STANDARD REGULATION AND GUIDELINE FOR MINISTRY OF TRANSPORTATION AND MALAYSIAN ROAD TRANSPORT AUTHORITIES(JPJ) IN HEAVY MACHINERY AND COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING LICENSE AND PERMIT RENEWAL IN PATIENT WITH NEUROPATHY.
” A NUMB FOOT IN DRIVING – CAUSES DANGER TO BOTH DRIVER AND PUBLIC.”
5. ESTABLISH A HEALTHY ACTIVE NETWORKING WITH OTHER NGO AND GOVERNMENT BODIES IN MALAYSIA RELATED TO DIABETIC AND ITS COMPLICATION; ESPECIALLY DIABETIC FOOT ULCERS AND ITS PREVENTION.
6. ESTABLISHING A GLOBAL NETWORK FOR LIMB SALVAGING WITH MANY WORKING GROUPS AND SOCIETIES ON LIMB SALVAGE AT INTERNATIONAL LEVEL, FOR BENEFIT OF OUR PEOPLE AND THE COUNTRY.
7. TO SHARE AND EXCHANGE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE TO HELP MANKIND FOR A BETTER TOMORROW.
8. RELIGIOUS PRACTICE ALERT ON PREVENTION OF DFU. UNDERSTANDING THAT THE MUSLIMS AND HINDUS ARE FACING HIGHER RISK OF HAVING DFU COMPARED TO OTHERS. MAIN CONTRIBUTING FACTOR – BARE FOOTED PILGRIMAGE IS REQUIRED AT THE PRAYER HALL SITE AND MANY PILGRIMAGE CENTERS AS WELL- THERMAL/HEAT INJURY, TRAUMATIC INJURY, OR WORSENING OF EXISTING FOOT CONDITION.
9. ESTABLISHING THE DIABETIC INTERNATIONAL LIMB SALVAGING ACADEMY (DILSA)
INVOLVING ALL RELATED SPECIALTY TO DIABETIC LIMB SALVAGING
VASCULAR SURGERY, FOOT & ANKLE SURGERY , GENERAL ORTHOPEDICS , ENDOCRINOLOGY , WOUND CARE PHYSICIANS , GENERAL PRACTITIONERS , PSYCHIATRIC & PSYCHOLOGIST , DENTIST, PATHOLOGIST, DIETITIAN AND NUTRITIONIST , INTERVENTION RADIOLOGIST , NEPHROLOGIST , OPHTHALMOLOGIST, DERMATOLOGIST , PODOTRIST, PLASTIC SURGEON AND REHABILITATION SPECIALIST, INFECTION CONTROL SPECIALIST.
- THIS WILL SUPPORT OUR VISION OF ESTABLISHING A TRANS-DISCIPLINARY MODEL AND CONSENSUS ON DFU AND ITS COMPLICATION WITHOUT FACING A HIGH RATE OF RECURRENCE
10. TOLL FREE NUMBER BY THE SOCIETY NATION WIDE FOR PUBLIC TO CALL DURING WORKING HOURS IN CASE OF ANY DOUBT, ADVICE, GUIDED REFERRAL CENTER, FOOT WEAR AND PROSTHESIS GUIDE, RELATED TO DFU AND ITS COMPLICATIONS.
11. ORGANIZING NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES, SUMMIT , CME, HANDS ON WORKSHOP, SKILL STATIONS TRAINING FOR DOCTORS AND PARAMEDICS IN MALAYSIA.
The Chronicle ........
As the only national level organization in Malaysia championing for prevention of amputation for diabetics, our roots are humble. It all began in 2016, amidst the increasing number of diabetic foot sufferers especially in the lower socioeconomic level group due to poor awareness knowledge leading to toe or limb amputation was widespread. Moved by the plight of countless diabetics resulting in amputation, Dr.Mogan Naidu S. (Founder of Mediasia Advance Wound Care & Tissue Repair Centre™), sought to offer his services voluntarily by helping the diabetic foot ulcer patients in providing charity based treatment.
Non-existence of any organization to support such national level crisis, together with a handful of like-minded friends, the Malaysian Diabetic Limb Salvaging Society – better known today as MDLSS – was established in December 2017. MDLSS aimed to provide a platform for all Malaysian diabetic foot patients to empower themselves with sufficient awareness and knowledge to prevent them from falling into the vicious cycle of diabetic foot ulcer resulting in amputation. There are many ways that you can help to Save A Foot, Save A Life.
You can join efforts to start a MDLSS Chapter in your area, you can donate or you can help us spread the word on your social media pages.
For the year 2018, agendas been proposed by working committee for new members and registered volunteers recruitment; seek donation and corporate sponsors to fund society activities and many more projects to be conducted with availability of sufficient funds.
Chairmans Note : -
The Malaysian Diabetic Limb Salvaging Society – MDLSS.
A society was needed by Malaysians since many citizens are facing a deadly endemic disaster which is still being ignored, just like an unresolved tragic war – continuously takings off human lower limbs one after another, and slowly their life as well.
The need came when we realized many of our patients are from the lower, lower middle, and middle class whom can’t afford to own a private insurance policy or medical card, can’t afford to pay high bills for admission and treatment in Private Hospitals, and most sadly afraid to seek attention in our award winning Facilities; our national pride – The General Hospital. The only reason noticed was a strong stigma public has on Government Hospitals and rates of Lower limb Amputations.
This left patients no other choice than finding alternative route seeking for hope and treatment to cure their non-healing ulcers. Few goes to traditional healers, few goes to General Practice, few goes to Alternative medicine, few just do it at home. It is almost always too late by the time patients reaches the healthcare facilities seeking for attention, and at many times amputations can’t be avoided.
It’s a fact that many below knee amputations and above knee amputations in Diabetic Patients belongs to the lowest group in the socioeconomic pyramid. It’s a known fact lower limb Amputations in lower and middle class citizens will only bring more burdens to the family and the country. Handicapped citizens have almost no chance of survival in a developing nation like Malaysia. Worst if they are Farmers, Fisherman, and Lorry Drivers and Teachers. When largely, our basic daily needs are dependent on their service. Yet, we are doing nothing more than waiting for them to be handicapped, at the end of the day. Isn’t that cruel?
The only hope remains at prevention of a diabetic foot ulcer from developing in the first place. Therefore, MDLSS was born ultimately to create adequate awareness among Doctors, medical staffs, Ministry Of Health, relevant organizations, supportive NGO, Societies, and not forgetting the Public themselves.
Our dedicated and dynamic MDLSS Board of Advisers, Committee Members, Faculty members , and Volunteers has prepared one of the best resolutions and agendas to combat and lowering the incidence of Lower Limb Amputations among Diabetic Patients in Malaysia. It’s our responsibility to be engaged in prevention measures in the country to save many lower limbs from the risk of amputations and its death cycle. Diabetic Foot Ulcers and Its related Amputations is Totally Preventable Condition. Hence we should uphold the global consensus “Prevention is better than Cure”. Drastic action is needed rather than more and more discussions and Conferences by many authorities, Our People are Suffering and dying here.
The society will also fully engage on addressing local authorities and probing issues related to limb salvage which is otherwise could be forgotten. MDLSS will also be responsible in educating and training responsible passionate wound Care practitioners or physicians and Surgeons especially on safe practice of diabetic Foot Ulcers management. This will further strengthen the available private and government wound Care Centers in Malaysia. Limb salvaging should not be a product or device base practice, upholding the optimal Clinical Guidelines and Hands on Surgical and Dressing Skills is the most valuable need for diabetic limb salvage efforts in Malaysia.
Not always looking at the westerners and their business models. Look at who cares about patients’ quality of life; no doubt they are more advance and leading with billions of dollars’ worth of wound care business. The truth is the rates of lower limb amputations are still sky high every part of the world including the USA and Europe. There is not much difference them us here, every 30 seconds one diabetic leg will be amputated somewhere in the world. This did not change much for the past 12 years. Look into local problem and local studies; analyze our people here in Malaysia.
With that we would like to ensure all Malaysians that MDLSS will be there to help them saving their limbs from being Victimized and amputated. Towards a nation free from Diabetic related Lower Limb Amputations, we will strive till our mission and vision are achieved. #For Humanity, For Malaysia.!!!
MDLSS Official Logo: description
The FOOT :
Represents the Organ of Interest the society striving to salvage and preserve.
The Rope :
Represents the ACT of salvaging, and the colour red &black symbolises Healthy and Necrotic Tissue respectively.
The toe Amputated :
The missing toe signifies the EFFORT of limb preservation and salvaging.
The Stars and Circles :
Represents progress in wound healing, the smaller the size of the wound , the bigger stars are rewarded ,both for limb salvagers and patients.